Monday, December 29, 2008

My favourite 2008 flicks and my Best Picture Oscar predictions...

Last year, I published a top ten list for the 2007 feature films I had seen by Dec 31. It was a pretty solid list, but not being a professional film critic with free tickets to see all major feature releases, it was incomplete. And upon viewing the great 'There Will Be Blood' in January of this year, my list became obsolete rather quickly as I now see that great flick as the best of 2007.

So I hesitate this year to provide any kind of similar top ten list, except to point out those films I most enjoyed this year, as well as predictions for this coming awards season (the best part of winter, as far as I'm concerned.)

My two favourite films of 2008: Slumdog Millionaire (pictured) and The Dark Knight. Both were absolutely astonishing and deserving of the Oscar nominations they're due to receive next month; I can't seem to decide which one I like better.

I also loved Milk, The Reader, The Bucket List, Rachel Getting Married and In Bruges.

The most disappointing film I paid money to see this year: George Clooney's Leatherheads (a complete waste of time and talent.)

Those films on my list I hope to see asap, in order of priority:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Wall-E
Frost/Nixon
Wendy and Lucy
Doubt
The Wrestler
Gran Torino
Valkyrie
Revolutionary Road


Thus, it's entirely possible that one of these or other films could overtake my current 2008 favourites (I love everything by director David Fincher, who made Benjamin Button and my 2007 fave Zodiac, among other great films). But we'll have to see.

With movie awards season now upon us, it's anybody's guess which five films will land a coveted Best Picture nomination at the Oscars. But I'm betting when the nominations are announced on January 22nd, these five films will be on the list: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Dark Knight, Frost/Nixon, Milk and Slumdog Millionaire.

Of these, I expect that Slumdog will take the top prize in February. Here's hoping.

No comments: