Sunday, December 31, 2023

2023 was a tough year for the planet, but thank the Universe for Jimbo!

It's been a tough year for the world.  

Fascism and dictatorship are on the rise, while democracies are under constant attack.  War continued in Ukraine thanks to the most evil person on the planet: Putin.  

Fascist Islamic antisemitic hatred in the form of Hamas also lashed out and brutally murdered 1,200 Israeli citizens and kidnapped over 200 more in southern Israel on Oct 7th.  

The Israeli response pushed back hard, as any decent country would, launching a war against the Hamas cowards, who willingly again hid among their own people in Gaza, thus causing Gazan casualties to skyrocket.   

Fascism continued to rise in the U.S. with the dangerous man child Donald Trump continuing to seize attention and win the hearts of the deplorables in the morally bankrupt Republican Party.   

Other forms of bigotry skyrocketed too, inspired by Donald Trump and other fascists.  

Trans youth, perhaps the most vulnerable and misunderstood human beings on the planet, were the targets of amoral, despicable right-wing politicians and others eager to join the fascist bandwagon.  

There was decent pushback though.  Jack Smith courageously charged the fascist Trump with many crimes in the U.S. surrounding his efforts to destroy American democracy.  Trump and co-conspirators also faced other charges in the state of Georgia and Florida.   

Those who believe in the rule of law continue to demand it be followed.  We'll see if Republican-leaning judges still stand by it too in 2024.  America may be reverting to fascist / sociopathic rule one year from now if some polls are to be believed (I don't believe them.)   

I'm lucky to be with my loving husband going into 2024.  My family is relatively well and happy.  My friends are still pushing through despite some personal setbacks this year.  I'm thankful for so many good things and pledge to continue to work hard to better those things I can change.  

As I look back at this year, I remember the great art and entertainment that brought me and many others happiness.  

My favourite pop culture icon to re-emerge with a hilarious vengeance: Canadian-born drag queen superstar Jimbo, who won Rupaul's Drag Race All Stars Season 8.  

Yes, they've had eight All Stars seasons.  This Canuck made me proud and helped me laugh my ass off this year.  Put aside your worries and enjoy some of the highlights below as you end out 2023:

 

No comments: