Monday, August 22, 2011

Canada mourns 'courageous' Jack Layton


Canada mourns 'courageous' Jack Layton - Politics - CBC News

Let me add my voice to the chorus of sadness and praise for Jack Layton, who lost his battle with cancer today.

Jack was a champion of the little guy who fought his entire adult life for a better Canada for all. He was an unwavering supporter of gays and lesbians, something for which I will always be grateful.

I briefly met Jack once in the 1990s at some municipal conference at a Toronto hotel. (I can't honestly remember the details of the event, only Jack's friendly smile as he said, "Hello," to me, a total stranger, at the coffee table.) He was that kind of guy, as we all know, always willing to positively engage his fellow citizens. He was a leader like Canada had never seen before and he transformed modern politics for the better. His legacy is clear and now I hope the NDP can keep up Jack's momentum. I bet you they will be able to do so.

But in the mean time, this is a very sad day for Canada.

But even in death, Jack is inspiring. Some words from his final letter to Canadians prove it: "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world..."

No comments: