Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Burying the hatchet: I'm going to Toronto's Inside Out festival after all

Earlier this month, I posted about my decision to skip this year's Inside Out LGBT Film Festival in Toronto.

My short film Tri-Curious was rejected by them and I felt that it might be too painful and aggravating for me to attend the festival, as I've done for years.

By definition, film festival programming (or any type of arts programming or curation, for that matter) is inherently subjective.   I don't take the rejection personally.   Nor do I think it reflects at all on the quality of my film, which has been accepted into two other queer film festivals recently (Mumbai and Kansas City) and hopefully will get more acceptances in the near future.

Every artist out there experiences a huge amount of rejection.  Why should I be any different?   Screening at Inside Out would've been a great experience for me.  It was not meant to be this year with this film. 

After some careful thought, I've decided to bury the hatchet, put aside my disappointment and buy a ticket or two to Inside Out after all.  The film Paris 05:59: Theo & Hugo looks particularly enticing.  I'll probably be seen at a festival party or two as well.   

I haven't been overly thrilled with many of Inside Out's selections in recent years.  There's been an abundance of awful art house selections with weak or offensive story arcs which frequently left audiences dissatisfied.   But there's also been a lot of decent work that deserved to be seen, especially the short film Hole, which won the top short film prize last year.   With a fairly diverse selection this year (if the catalogue is any indication), there's probably at least one film every film lover can love.   

Life's too short to be angry and absent.  

I do hope my film Tri-Curious can screen at another festival in the Toronto area in the near future.   My fingers are crossed in that regard and I'll be sure to write about it here.  

No comments: