Tuesday, July 28, 2015

I'd happily vote Liberal if I lived in Eglinton-Lawrence (unless the NDP runs a star candidate).

Lately I've been tempted to vote NDP in this upcoming federal election.  I'm still thinking about it in my home riding of Toronto Centre.  I'm going to wait to see how the campaign progresses between now and Oct 19th voting day before deciding.  

But if I lived in Eglinton-Lawrence, where the Liberals are the major challengers to Conservative Finance Minister Joe Oliver, I'd happily vote for newly-nominated Liberal candidate Marco Mendicino.  The NDP has no chance in that riding in this election (as they barely got 10% there last time.)  That 10% would come in handy helping defeat Oliver this year. 

Here's a clip of Mendicino on Monday's Power & Politics on CBC:



I have no doubt that opponents of the Harper government need to vote intelligently this year by supporting the progressive opposition candidate in their local riding that stands the best chance of victory.  There's no doubt the NDP and the Liberals can work together to make a better Canada should they have the seats in the House between them.  

In places where the Tories have no chance, I recommend you follow your heart.  That's what I intend to do. 

******************

UPDATE Aug 17, 2015: With the NDP now running former Saskatchewan finance minister Andrew Thomson in Eglinton-Lawrence, I'd have to say I'd be undecided on how I'd vote in E-L.  I'd have to observe both local campaigns and see if Thomson's campaign was seriously targeting the riding.  If not, I'd still vote Liberal as their support is not just going to vanish just because the NDP can find a decent candidate.   Needless to say I'm happy to be voting in another riding and not have to make that tough choice. 

1 comment:

Ron Waller said...

One main problem with strategic voting is that elections are held because people change their minds. Therefore it's nearly impossible to know which party to strategically vote for. During the campaign there is a lot of flux, which is how, for example, the BC Liberals won the election despite being far behind in the polls before the campaign began.

Since using riding votes from the 2011 election provides out-of-date information, and polling companies don't poll enough people in a riding to provide accurate information, strategic voting doesn't do much good. (Strategic voters weren't able to stop Harper in 2011, despite SV initiatives and the vast majority of voters being opposed to him.)

The real problem is our caveman voting system: First-Past-the-Post. All politicians should be elected with a majority using ranked ballot voting. Considering people tend to vote for a party, proportional representation would be required to transfer party votes, ensuring parties get the amount of power the people elected to give them.

Canada and the UK are the only developed countries still stuck with a sloppy 19th-century voting system that breaks down when there are more than two parties in the running.