Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Day Without A Gay: "Call In Gay!"


Congrats to the U.S. organizers of this unique event. Sadly I'm at work today, but I'm with them in spirit.

As the site says, "Day Without A Gay" is a reaction against recent "anti-gay ballot initiatives in California, Arizona Florida, and Arkansas with anger, with resolve, and with courage. NOW, it's time to show America and the world how we love...Gay people and our allies are compassionate, sensitive, caring, mobilized, and programmed for success. A day without gays would be tragic because it would be a day without love. On December 10, 2008 the gay community will take a historic stance against hatred by donating love to a variety of different causes. On December 10, you are encouraged not to call in sick to work. You are encouraged to call in "gay"--and donate your time to service!"

5 comments:

FederalPapers said...

Im not gay but I called into work gay anyway. It sounds better than hungover.

Antonio said...

this is dumb

particularly because it associates being gay with being sick.

gay people need to go to work, not call in sick for not being sick, and get fired.

Matt Guerin said...

Antonio, I'm not sure about the optics, but I think the point of this is to demonstrate how integral a part of workplaces all LGBT people are - so when they're absent you really notice.

It's similar to a strike, or the 'Day Without Latinos' to try to demonstrate how a group of people taken for granted can withdraw itself for a day out of protest. It's meant to raise awareness. The point is gays are on strike today. Personally I think it's creative. The organizers acknowledge that not all gays can take the day off.

Sierra Night Tide said...

It is about time that the community stand up and really make a stand saying "WE COUNT"

Bo Green said...

Paul Ellis, 51, a manager at Cliff's Variety hardware store, said he didn't want his employer to bear the burden of his support.

"My employers have always been there in every possible way. I didn't feel comfortable discomfiting them when they have gone out of their way to be there for me," he said.


Exactly.

What would I "call in gay" for, when everyone I work for and with is nothing but super cool? Why would I throw turmoil into everyone's day when they've done nothing wrong? What, exactly, would that accomplish?

This idea was sensationally stupid, only a moron would support to this. Umm, why not, I don't know, maybe boycott a business or industry that's anti-gay rather than burden people who are pro-gay?