Tuesday, September 2, 2008

That funny Jason Kenney guy...

Ever since Jason Kenney made the ridiculously stupid and insulting statement in 2005 that Canada's old marriage laws didn't discriminate against gays because gays could marry members of the opposite sex, I haven't been able to listen to anything he's had to say with a straight face (er, pun intended...lol)

During the heat of the same sex marriage debate in 2005, Kenney let out this whopper: "Marriage is open to everybody, as long as they're a man and a woman...It doesn't say you can't marry if you're a homosexual. The fact is that homosexuals have been married and do marry.''

Despite Kenney's 'genius' argument, same sex marriage became the law of the land in June 2005.

A few months later, Ang Lee's 'Brokeback Mountain' came out on the big screen to great acclaim. It chronicled a story about two closeted gay cowboys who followed Kenney's advice and married members of the opposite sex because, well, they could. If you've seen the movie, you know it didn't end well. I once thought I should send Kenney a DVD copy of the movie to show him how stupid his statement truly was, but I never got around to sending it.

Since then, whenever this guy has gotten in front of the cameras as the spokesman for the Harper government, I've cringed, as I'm sure many Canadians have. As we know, Harper has a high tolerance for homophobes in his caucus. You can say whatever you want about the gays and, after the media circus dies down, nothing happens to you. It's difficult to imagine a scenario in which Harper would come to the defense of gays, to be honest.

So to keep using this guy as a point man for the government speaks volumes. Sure Kenney is an Ottawa keener and a good Harper team player. He knows how to play the game, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing so much of him. I suspect it's Harper's willingness to let people like Kenney to be so front and centre that has kept Tory fortunes in the mid-30s for so long (among other reasons of course.)

Do we really want a caucus and a party dominated by Jason Kenney-types to have a majority in this country? I expect 65% of Canadians still say no. Quite frankly, I'd like these goons back in opposition as soon as possible. Harper may be giving us that chance come October 14...

4 comments:

Jason Bo Green said...

I'm a gay and vote left of centre; I found nothing insulting about Kenney's comment. I don't find Harper to be homophobic - I think you've lost perspective on what homophobia really is.

I don't like Kenney much personally, and I don't agree with him. But I think you're being every bit as childish as he so often is in attacking people across the aisle.

That's just my opinion, of course.

Matt Guerin said...

I haven't lost my perspective on what homophobia really is, but thank you for your opinion. Just because you can tolerate these guys more than I does not make me or others childish.

jodster said...

Every time I see that Kenney I shudder too...actually makes me wonder if he is closeted? LOL

Barbara L said...

Look what this ass is doing to freedom of speech in Canada and his misuse of power with Galloway and Bush! Bush a criminal is welcome, Galloway a pacifist is denied. This Zionist scumbag has to be muzzled. Anyone with lips as pursed as his, yet as prone to let idiocies fall out, needs to stay out of the public spotlight and wash toilets for a living.