Thursday, September 25, 2008

Political columnists need to do their homework...

I should get a job as a political columnist. At least I'd get my historical facts right. It never ceases to amaze me how many writers who get paid (no doubt big bucks) to write about politics fail to check even the most easily accessible facts before publishing.

The latest example is today's column by Gary Mason about the allegedly dire state of Liberal affairs in B.C.

I'll ignore his analysis for now, solely based as it is on one poll that seems freakishly wrong (based on all the other polls from B.C. I've seen in this campaign.) And just focus on his mistakes:

"The Liberals won eight seats in B.C. in the last election. They could lose them all this time around."

Okay they won 9 seats there in 2006, not eight. Perhaps he just believes David Emerson really won as a Tory? I know I'm nitpicky, but come on. It's not hard to confirm the number of seats parties won in the last election in each province.

Then Mason offers this: "The Greens are offering up Adriane Carr [in Vancouver Centre], the popular one-time head of the party in B.C." Okay, Carr ran in two elections as leader of the BC Greens, in 2001 and in 2005.

I don't mean to pick on Mason. This article is one of many I've read in recent times filled with historical errors. How can we trust your analysis, Mr. Mason, if we can't even trust your facts?

I just wish more political columnists would do due diligence and fact-check before they publish! Political junkies are watching.

3 comments:

kirbycairo said...

Indeed Matt
But if politics is an extention of politics and truth is the first casualty of war, then I sadly don't expect much better.

Koby said...

The Liberals are going to be destroyed in BC. I have been warning of this for months and months. Dion's english is problem his Green shift a unmediated disater, but it is also what he is not doing. There nothing social liberals can get behind. I can not wait for Dion to go.

Matt Guerin said...

There's plenty for social liberals to get behind. By the way, Dion's English seems better than yours...