Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Indiana will be pivotal now...

Last night's results in Pennsylvania maintain the current deadlock in the Democratic race, at least until early May.

Congrats to Hillary on her win. But the hard truth is the mathematics still make a victory by her unlikely and, I'd say, politically impossible at this point. If Obama talks more like he did last night in his speech, he'll definitely be able to win over more White, Catholic, middle America voters. I think most pundits will now start to spin Indiana's upcoming primary on May 6 as pivotal in this race. Obama has North Carolina in the bag. Indiana is Obama's chance to finally seal the deal and I hope he does it.

I watched last night's speeches by both candidates carefully.

During Hillary's speech, a couple audience members yelled out, "I love you, Hillary!" and she said nothing back. She stuck to her script as touching as it often was.

Somebody also cried out to Obama during his speech: "I love you!" and Obama immediately replied back, "I love you too."

I think this difference speaks volumes about both candidates - I'll let you decide how.

Basically Pennsylvania tells us that Obama has his work cut out for him still among working class, white voters in middle America. But he clearly has it within his power to improve his message and is still the frontrunner to win the Democratic nomination.

Clinton is putting up a great fight, she's proving inspirational with her strength and resilience. When this campaign started, I had little enthusiasm for her candidacy. Now, it seems this competition from Obama has made Hillary the candidate she needed to be. Regardless she can hold her head high.

But I'm still hoping that Obama takes the nomination.

*********UPDATE********

p.s. Another Canadian blogger posted today possibly questioning how appropriate it is for we Canadian bloggers to be discussing the ongoing American election season. All I can say is this race b/n Obama and Clinton is the most interesting political story going on right now, the 'In and out' scandal notwithstanding. The race is historic and whoever wins will have a huge impact on Canadians. So I have every right to discuss it here and elsewhere. David linked to this post as "defending" - not sure what he means by that, but I'll gladly take the link.

By David's apparent standard, Canadian journalists shouldn't be writing about the American election either or speculating about its outcome and impact on Canadians...

No comments: