Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Clinton-Obama ticket: Bring it on!

I like this talk lately coming from the Clinton camp of a possible Clinton-Obama presidential ticket. It jibes with what I was saying early last month (on Super Tuesday, in fact) about how Obama's surge has garnered him the right to be on the ticket, either on top or as Clinton's running mate.

Like most progressives, I've been back and forth in this race as I like both candidates immensely. (Of course, being a Canadian Liberal means my opinion counts about as much as Ian Brodie's, I guess.) Both Clinton and Obama have their strengths and weaknesses.

I've seen a new side to Hillary Clinton over the course of this campaign. I have no doubt that, were she to lose the nomination to Obama, I'd feel a huge sense of loss. I don't think I'd feel the same way if Obama were to lose the nomination this year.

As I said to some colleagues back in January, if Obama doesn't get the top spot this year, he can and will likely come back in the near future to take the Democratic nomination. If 2008 is not Obama's year (and Clinton loses in November to McCain), we'll see Obama back in 2012. If Clinton wins in 2008 (with Obama as her running mate), we'll definitely see an Obama nomination in 2016. He'll be a still-young 54. (Even if Obama doesn't become Clinton's V-P, he'd still be the frontrunner in 2016, no doubt.)

However, if Clinton loses to Obama this year, that might be the end of her presidential aspirations. And we won't be seeing a woman in the White House this generation, sadly.

Both are superb candidates. Both have equal chance of beating John McCain this fall. I say give it to Clinton and hopefully Obama will accept her offer to be her running mate, despite his predictable protests of late.

2 comments:

KC said...

If Barack were Hillary's VP he would have to wear every decision she makes. It would be disastrous to a candidate who campaigns on change.

Hillary's proposal is arrogant bluster and Obama is right to balk at it.

Matt Guerin said...

I think Clinton knows it'll be hard for her to win if she doesn't have Obama on her ticket. He could give her campaign a certain populist appeal she doesn't have alone. If she does win the nomination, she'll win by a sliver and would risk a divided party otherwise. If Obama refuses to run with Clinton should she win the nomination, he'll risk being seen as having ensured the party was divided.

If Clinton loses to McCain and Obama refused to run with her, you can be sure the Clinton folks and other Democrats would be no friends of Obama in 2012. If Obama loses the nomination fair and square to Clinton, he'd be foolish not to run as her V-P candidate should she offer it.