Friday, January 4, 2008

Barack Obama would make a Great President of the United States of America

**********UPDATE*********

JANUARY 10, 2008 - Last week, I must admit that I jumped on the Barack Obama bandwagon. I must admit now that I did so in great haste.

Obama is a great man. Of the Democratic candidates, Obama would be the clearest and healthiest break from the Bush/Cheney years. I'm very excited about his candidacy.

However, I've had a change of heart and am officially back on the fence again. What can I say? Hillary's performance in the face of possible defeat forced me to take another look at her. I was very impressed with her New Hampshire victory speech. I didn't know she had it in her. While I find the possibility of the first African-American president to be highly attractive, I also find the prospect of the first female American president to be equally attractive.

Both candidates have their strengths and weaknesses. Up until last week, I had yet to see much in the way of true leadership from Hillary. That changed in New Hampshire. I have a feeling this is going to be one long and hard-fought race and I look forward to watching it unfold, while I keep my preferences closer to my chest.

3 comments:

lept said...

I hope you are right about the gay thing - it is very tempting to be taken in by the pretty words - here is another perspective by Doug Ireland.

Matt Guerin said...

Obama has been very clear on the "gay thing" - he disagrees with McClurkin and others on his campaign on the issue of homosexuality. But I've also admired his desire to build a big tent, to bridge communities and bring people together. That's his mantra and it's a good one.

This isn't just about our little community, or that little community, etc. and what a candidate is going to promise to get our votes. He's asking more of us as a leader. Compared to the others, Obama is an inspiration, the real deal. It's how he handled this McClurkin controversy that most impressed me. Not the pretty words...

s.b. said...

And while Candian soldiers die Obama can't even be bothered to convene the Senate committe that oversees NATO that he chairs. He's too busy running for President.